Thursday, February 14, 2013

What's in-store for my life?


As I sit in front of the piano reflecting, and just pondering, I gently pull notes out of thin air.
Trying to recall where my fingers should fall to phrase a simple melody, and sustain it as a commonality throughout.
This being a lot harder than said.
I always was use to just playing whatever wherever my fingers would fall that sounded melodically pleasing.  
I never had a structured way of playing, I would just play.
As the two hours pasted I slowly began to remember how to harmonically and melodically sync the two.
But how could I apply that to one of the songs I have written.
I just played the chords and quietly began hesitantly singing the words and humming the vocal melody.
It  slowly progressed and as the time passed I became more comfortable singing my song.  
"I like this'"I was thinking," and with all the keys layed out in front of me I began to experiment with the melody.
And for some odd reason, my voice was more comfortable and relaxed.
I wasn't straining and forcing the lyrics, it began to feel natural, soothing, steady..
I wasn't exactly sure of all the words but I substituted the unknown word with a simple humming of the melody.
I'm glad I was recording most of the time, now I can go back and listen to what I constructed.
I was starting to remember how to play the piano again!!! 
It has been many years since I opened the cover to the keys, it just sat dormant for years upon years,  I can actually say it has been over 10 years since I last sat at the piano and played.
It was a place of refuge.
Only now I had a purpose and a path to walk down.
Not only was the piano a writing tool, it was an experimenting tool, to refine the basic melody I sang to the guitar.
"I could get use to this," I though to myself.
But one thing loomed overhead, had I discovered this rekindled enjoyment of the piano to lat?
It pulled me out of my somber mood, it slowly started to feel natural again, but... am I to late?
Did I lose that opportunity to apply what I rediscovered to my arsenal.
I was learning how to construct a song, first came the lyrics or poems and rhymically phrase it, then make up a chord progression on the guitar that felt fresh, lay down the lyrics to a melody within the chord progression.
Figure out a tempo and sync the roughly written song to a settempo.
Now with the piano I can spice it up a hair.
I am beginning to finally structure definitive songs.
I had had a formula I could work with and it all flowed together naturally.
I was applying all of my strengths together to solidify solidly based songs.
But am I to late to the party, is my opportunity done....

No comments:

Post a Comment